Spring in Kentucky brings us some of our favorite fruits and vegetables: fresh strawberries, lettuce, shallots, and a lot more greens. The following spring recipes–from the appetizer to the dessert–are sure to give you healthy, satisfying meals while using ingredients that are in season.
Green Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
Prepare a healthy appetizer in five minutes using this fresh salad recipe from the Food Network.
1 pint sliced strawberries
1 tbsp Strawberry Balsamic by Primo Oils and Vinegars
3 tbsp Manzanillo Extra Virgin Olive Oil by Primo Oils and Vinegars
2 tsp strawberry jam
4 to 5 cups romaine or mixed greens of any kind, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
- For the dressing, whisk in the strawberry jam, balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a bowl, arrange the strawberries and greens. Serve with dressing on top.
Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sage Sauce
This main dish from Simply Recipes is packed with flavor. We love the creaminess of the mushroom sauce and the tenderness of the chicken.
3 tbs butter
1 tbs Primo extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ cup shallots, chopped
8-10 oz thickly sliced cremini or button mushrooms
2 pcs thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
1 tsp parsley, chopped
1 cup dry vermouth or dry white wine
⅔ cup heavy whipping cream
3 tbs sage, chopped
1 ¼ to 1 ½ lb chicken breast cutlets
Salt and pepper
- In a pan, melt the butter in medium heat. Sautè the shallots for one minute.
- Add the mushrooms and parsley. Sautè for 7 to 10 minutes until the mushrooms have turned brown.
- Pour the vermouth then deglaze the pan by scraping bits that stick to it.
- Stir in the cream. Simmer for 3 to 5 minutes. Add the sage. Season with salt and pepper.
- In another pan, heat the olive oil on medium heat.
- Sprinkle the cutlets with salt and pepper then cook for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken. Garnish with parsley.
For added flavor and nutrients, try experimenting with other herbs such as tarragon and thyme. This dish is best served with rice or egg noodles.
Chocolate Balsamic Strawberry Dessert
This delicious and healthy dessert by Darn Good Veggies will be hard to resist. Don’t worry, you can enjoy it guilt-free!
1 lb strawberries
1 tbs Primo Aged Dark Chocolate Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp or more maple syrup
¼ cup coconut whipped cream
2 tsp cocoa nibs
Pinch of salt
- Combine strawberries, chocolate balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and salt. Set aside for 10 minutes until the strawberries have released their juices.
- Toast the cocoa nibs in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Wait until they have darkened in color or have become fragrant. Remove from the pan and let it cool.
- Place the strawberries on serving dishes. Top with coconut cream or sprinkle with cocoa nibs. Serve.
Do not forget to share the link to these recipes to friends and family who will enjoy them!