Ricotta-Basil Olive Oil Spread
This easy spread has an aioli-like consistency but uses no eggs. Instead, fresh, part skim ricotta stands in lending a creamy-dreamy texture and richness.Use the Chilean Arbequina for this application. With its grassy-herbaceousness, apple peel center, and healthy peppery finish, it served to cut the richness of the ricotta and provide an interesting counterbalance.A clove of garlic, squeeze of lemon and sprig of basil later, the spread came together magnificently. I toasted some bread and liberally slathered it with the spread. However, it would be equally delicious as a mayonnaise replacement, a dip for crudites, or spread fresh grilled salmon.
- 1½ cup part skim ricotta cheese
- ½ cup Ultra Premium, ultra fresh 2011 Chilean Arbequina EVOO
- five inch sprig of fresh basil washed and dried
- 1 clove fresh garlic smashed
- 1 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- Place the ingredients inside the bowl of a food processor or blender and process until creamy and smooth in consistency.
- Adjust seasoning and store tightly covered in the refrigerator for up to three days.