New Year’s Resolutions abound this January and one of the most popular resolutions is to eat healthier and get in shape. Life is all about balance and getting healthy shouldn’t have to mean giving up all tasty treats. Moderation and a couple of tweaks can make your favorite snacks guilt free.
Olive oil has a long list of health benefits including protecting against heart disease, being full of antioxidants, and strong anti-inflammatory properties. Substitute olive oil into dishes when you can to reap all the benefits. Here are three easy ways to use olive oil as a substitute in some classic snacks!
Instead of eating microwaveable popcorn or loading it up with unhealthy amounts of butter, use olive oil! We even have a Butter Olive Oil. Heat up a few tablespoons of olive oil in a big pot then add popcorn kernels. Cover up the pot and let all of the kernels pop. When it’s done you can drizzle any leftover oil oil on top of the popcorn for an easy, as well as healthy, snack!
Who doesn’t love a big warm basket of French Fries? Like almost everything, making your fries at home instead of ordering them at a restaurant or at the drive-thru, significantly cuts calories and can add nutritional value. Chop up some Russet potatoes then let them soak in warm water for ten minutes or so. In a small pan heat up garlic and olive oil – our Rosemary Olive Oil would be fantastic – until it’s aromatic then remove the pan from the heat. Dry off your potatoes, stick them on a baking sheet, then drizzle the olive oil and garlic over them. Bake them in the oven at 475 degrees for 25 minutes, flip them over with a spatula, and continue baking for another 15 minutes. And voila! A healthier batch of French Fries for your snacking pleasure.
Like we said, everything in moderation and that includes, cookies, cakes, muffins, and all your favorite baked goodies. One simple substitute to add to the nutritional value of your treat is to use olive oil instead of melted butter. A rule of thumb is to use three tablespoons of olive oil for every quarter cup of melted butter. Our Butter Olive Oil mentioned above is naturally infused with butter flavor and is vegetarian and dairy-free! Now you can munch on a delicious chocolate chip cookie knowing you are getting added antioxidants.
Make sure you let us know if you try any of these substitutes or if you have any olive oil tips and tricks of your own.
Gourmet Popcorn with Primo Oils
- electric popcorn maker or a pot
- ⅓ cup popcorn for 2 people
- 2 tbsp olive oil of your choice
- salt to taste
- Use an electric popcorn maker or a pot on your stove. Either way, you’ll start by measuring out your popcorn. (We use 1/3 cup for 2 people)
- Measure about 2 Tbs of the olive oil of your choice. Gently heat.
- Pop the popcorn!
- Toss popcorn with olive oil and salt. Alternating and tossing the popcorn so the olive oil and salt are evenly distributed.
- Butter Olive Oil and Black Truffle Sea Salt
- Tuscan Herb Olive Oil and Thyme
- Garlic Olive Oil and Black Pepper
- Garlic Olive Oil and Parmesan Cheese (dried Kraft works best)
- Basil Olive Oil and Sun-dried Tomatoes (chop the sun-dried tomatoes very fine before adding)
- Chipotle Olive Oil and Lime Olive Oil
- Fused Blood Orange Olive Oil and Cinnamon and Sugar
- Rosemary Olive Oil and Black Pepper
- White Truffle Olive Oil and Black Pepper
- Wild Mushroom & Sage and Black Truffle Sea Salt