Farfalle with Beets, Beets Green, and Pine Nuts
You can use any color or beets, but darkly colored beets will turn the pasta pink.
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- 4 tbsp Primo Extra Virgin Olive Oil of your choice
- 2 large onions quartered and sliced crosswise (about 4 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 bunches 2-inch diameter beets with fresh healthy greens beets peeled, each cut into 1″ wide strips
- 12 oz farfalle (bow-tie pasta)
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese plus additional for serving
- Heat heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add pine nuts and stir until lightly toasted, about 3 minutes. Transfer to small bowl. Add 2 TBS oil and onions to same skillet and sauté until beginning to soften and turn golden, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to sauté until onions are tender and browned, about 30 minutes. Add garlic and stir 2 minutes. Scatter beet greens over onions. Drizzle remaining 2 TBS olive oil over; cover and cook until beet greens are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook beets in a large pot of boiling water until tender, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer beets to medium bowl. Return water to boil. Add pasta to beet cooking liquid and cook until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain, reserving 1 cup pasta cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot. Stir onion-greens mixture and beets into pasta. Add pasta cooking liquid by ¼ cupfuls to moisten. Season with salt and coarsely ground black pepper. Stir in 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese. Divide pasta among shallow bowls. Sprinkle with pine nuts. Serve, passing additional cheese.